SOCIETÀ DI MONTEPONI
MINIERA DI CAMPO PISANO
mine (Pb, Zn) / Iglesias / 1868 - 1997 / 2013 / MONTEPONI "MONTEPONI"
The mining concession for the Campo Pisano lead and zinc deposits in the south-east of Iglesias was acquired in 1868-70 by Monteponi mining company, already running a mine with the same name in the vicinity. At the beginning of the XX century the discover of a large ferrous calamine (zinc ore) deposit fostered the development of Campo Pisano mine, which was equipped with a 238 m deep shaft (shaft 1). In 1919 a first gravity-separation plant was built too, with the purpose to enrich extracted zinc ores which were then smelted in Monteponi (zinc oxide and, from 1926, zinc metal via electrolysis). Besides the calamine extraction, in the 1920s also the vast deposits of sphalerite (zinc sulfide) and pyrite began to be massively exploited. Again, these minerals were then processed at Monteponi for the production of sulfuric acid. At the threshold of the Second World War the Campo Pisano mine was further enlarged, with the opening of a new shaft (shaft 2, 213 m) and the construction of a most modern flotation plant for zinc sulfides and a zinc ore calcination plant.
In 1950 the mine employed 700 miners and had an average output of 100000 t of crude and 75000 t of refined ores. A major turning point in the history of Campo Pisano was the construction in 1964-65 of a huge enrichment plant (6000 t/d) for the collective treatment of minerals of both Campo Pisano and Monteponi mines as well as minor mines of the district (San Giorgio, Seddas Modizzis, etc.). The new facility was entitled to Francesco Sartori, a former managing director of Monteponi company and a key figure in the development of national lead and zinc industry. In the early 1980s the management of Campo Pisano, Monteponi and other sites was transferred to the state-owned company SAMIM, the mining division of ENI (Italian oil and gas authority). In the early 1990s the mining activity in the nearby Monteponi and Masua mines ceased for unprofitability, leaving the processing center of Campo Pisano without raw materials. With the stop of the enrichment plant in 1998, the life of this mine also came to an end.
AA. VV. (1950), Società di Monteponi 1850-1950, Tipografiai Vincenzo Bona, Torino.
Mezzolani, S., Simoncini, A. (2001), Sardegna da Salvare. Storia, Paesaggi e Architetture delle Miniere, Editrice Archivio Fotografico Sardo, Nuoro.